Here at 39DollarGlasses we are celebrating President’s Day all week long with a 20% off sale. Use the code PRES20 for 20% off your entire order! (Ends 2/21/2014)
In honor of President’s Day, here are some Presidential Eyeglasses Facts:
- President Lincoln wore his first pair of eyeglasses at 47 years old.
- It has been said that Lincoln’s first pair of eyeglasses cost him approximately 38 cents.
- According to AntiqueSpectacles.com, “In Ottawa, Illinois on August 21, 1858, Lincoln read a long extract from a speech he had given four years earlier, but he was having difficulty seeing the words. Someone in the crowd apparently called out ‘Put on your specs’. So Mr. Lincoln replied ‘Yes, sir, I am obliged to do so. I am no longer a young man.'”
- President George Washington first began wearing eyeglasses in 1778.
- George Washington wore a pair of silver-rimmed spectacles while reading his Newburg address.
- According to History.org, when George Washington began reading a letter from Congress he stated, “Gentlemen, you will permit me to put on my spectacles, for I have not only grown gray, but almost blind, in the service of my country.”